Monday, September 29, 2014

Apple Pie and Other Fall Fun

Last week, the Wizards (my class) learned about Fall. Most of them had no clue what Fall was/is or even what a season is so I thought I needed to break them in right ;)

September 22nd was the first official day of Fall. We briefly talked about the four seasons and the holidays celebrated during fall. We talked about harvesting crops including pumpkins and apples. We also watched videos of the leaves changing in North America (I haven't seen as much color variety here).

But what could say "Fall" better than APPLE PIE! So I decided that as a class, we should make our very own apple pies.

One of my co-teachers helped me film a video of making the pie filling. This video served the triple purpose of being educational, saving time, and allowing my students to have something to occupy them while I cleaned the classroom and the pies baked. If your interested in watching the video, you can do so below. Otherwise just skip right along to the pictures!



So I made the pie crust and the pie filling at home, but my students really did assemble the hand pies by themselves (ok they had some minor help but mostly by themselves). Then we baked the pies right in the classroom! I hope you enjoy all of our pictures.

The other teachers kept saying how good the classroom and hallway smelled while we were baking :)

This is the pie I made earlier in the day so they could see what a full size apple pie looks like.



I made paper with circles printed on them and covered them with plastic wrap so the students could use them as a guide for shaping their pie crust.




Demonstrating how much filling to put into the pie and how to fold it over.





I helped the students seal the pies--mostly because I didn't have enough forks at home for everyone to use one.



This is the finished pie. My kids love taking their treats home and sharing with their families.
Here are the recipes for the pie crust and pie filling if you are interested in trying them:


*I only used this recipe for temperature and time information.

No comments:

Post a Comment